How it works
Shop at a Tax Free authorized store
- The total value of your purchase must equal or exceed 175 euros (including the value-added tax)
- After making the payment you must ask the seller for the fiscal invoice, the receipt, and the “VAT refund form for non-EU residents”
- You must leave Romania within 90 days from the date of purchase
Do not forget to have the form stamped!
- At the customs office you must show your purchases, the invoice, proof of payment, and the “VAT refund form for non-EU residents” filled out by the seller with your personal data
- The customs office must stamp the invoice and the VAT refund form
- If you leave the EU by air and you need to check in your purchases, you have to inform the check-in desk so that customs can process your purchases and documentation before your baggage is loaded on the aircraft
- If you leave the EU by air but make a stop in another member state, carry-on purchases must be presented to the customs office of the last EU country you are transiting, while checked baggage must be presented to Romanian customs
- If you leave the country by land, you will have the documents stamped at the last customs office before exiting the EU
- Important! If the information provided is inaccurate, customs may refuse to certify that the goods have left the EU area
- Attention! The VAT cannot be refunded without a valid customs stamp.
Ask for a refund!
- You must mail to Ask for Tax Free the original of the VAT refund form and a copy of the invoice, both stamped by the customs, and then wait for the refund to clear
- You will be refunded the VAT paid on the goods you purchased minus Ask for Tax Free’s processing fee and the bank’s transaction fee
- You will thus have the opportunity to recoup up to 19% of the value of your purchase after leaving the EU